Serena Williams wins third Charleston title
Charleston (South Carolina): World No.1 Serena Williams has won her third Family Circle Cup title in Charleston after battling back from a set down to defeat Jelena Jankovic in the final.
The American took the title Sunday on a tense tiebreak in a 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(5) victory that puts her on 49 WTA titles, one short of a mark reached by just nine players in history.
"I felt so close in that first set. I felt like I could have been up 3-0," Williams said on the WTA website.
"After that I just got really relaxed and was like, `Serena, you have to chill out and not get crazy and if you win, great. If not, you`re trying. She`s playing really well. Just try and do the best you can`."
Jankovic rued some games in the second set where she let Williams back into the fight while holding a commanding lead.
"In the second set I had 40-15 in that first game and then again in another couple of games I had 40-15, 40-0. I should have focused and won those games," the Serbian said.
"Of course, she`s going to go up and feel much better and she`s again in control. That was unfortunate for me."
The win was Williams` sixth in 10 meetings with former world No.1 Jankovic, who is on a strong run in recent weeks that has included a title win in Bogota.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre