Shanghai walkover boost for Del Potro
Shanghai: Argentina`s Juan Martin del Potro reached the Shanghai Masters quarter-finals on Thursday without even picking up a racquet after German veteran Tommy Haas withdrew from their third round match with a back injury.
Sixth seed Del Potro, 25, faced a potentially tricky tie against the former world number two, who reached the quarter-finals in Shanghai last year, as he bids to reach next month`s World Tour Finals in London.
Former US Open champion Del Potro, who won the Japan Open on Sunday, was waiting to take to the court but returned to the locker room when told the 35-year-old 11th seed had withdrawn.
Del Potro next faces either Spain`s Nicolas Almagro or fourth seed Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic as he bids to reach the season-ending showpiece.
The top three seeds in Shanghai, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, have already qualified for the event, which features the season`s top eight players. Del Potro is fifth in the Race to London, just behind Ferrer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone