Shanghai walkover boost for Del Potro
Shanghai: Argentina`s Juan Martin del Potro reached the Shanghai Masters quarter-finals on Thursday without even picking up a racquet after German veteran Tommy Haas withdrew from their third round match with a back injury.
Sixth seed Del Potro, 25, faced a potentially tricky tie against the former world number two, who reached the quarter-finals in Shanghai last year, as he bids to reach next month`s World Tour Finals in London.
Former US Open champion Del Potro, who won the Japan Open on Sunday, was waiting to take to the court but returned to the locker room when told the 35-year-old 11th seed had withdrawn.
Del Potro next faces either Spain`s Nicolas Almagro or fourth seed Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic as he bids to reach the season-ending showpiece.
The top three seeds in Shanghai, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, have already qualified for the event, which features the season`s top eight players. Del Potro is fifth in the Race to London, just behind Ferrer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest