Sharapova crushes Li to reach Key Biscayne semis
Key Biscayne (Florida): Second seed Maria Sharapova stormed into the semi-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open after ending her jinx against China`s Li Na with a convincing 6-3, 6-0 win on Tuesday.
The Russian had lost her previous four meetings with Li in straight sets, including the semi-finals of last year`s French Open, but needed just 68 minutes to seal victory on Tuesday.
"I came into this match having lost to her the last few times. I just really wanted to change that, so I was extremely focused and looking forward to the match," said Sharapova.
"I was just really consistent today in those conditions where, you know, it`s a little gusty and blowing around and I was facing a tough opponent."
It was a scrappy start to the encounter with the first five games all being broken before Sharapova eased into her baseline game and won eight consecutive games to emerge victorious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore