Sharapova crushes Li to reach Key Biscayne semis
Key Biscayne (Florida): Second seed Maria Sharapova stormed into the semi-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open after ending her jinx against China`s Li Na with a convincing 6-3, 6-0 win on Tuesday.
The Russian had lost her previous four meetings with Li in straight sets, including the semi-finals of last year`s French Open, but needed just 68 minutes to seal victory on Tuesday.
"I came into this match having lost to her the last few times. I just really wanted to change that, so I was extremely focused and looking forward to the match," said Sharapova.
"I was just really consistent today in those conditions where, you know, it`s a little gusty and blowing around and I was facing a tough opponent."
It was a scrappy start to the encounter with the first five games all being broken before Sharapova eased into her baseline game and won eight consecutive games to emerge victorious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- US, North Korea trade barbs over nuclear weapon tests
- Palestinians seek to sue Britain over 1917 vow to Jews
- PM Modi should also be suspended from House for 'inviting ISI to Pathankot', says AAP MP Bhagwant Mann
- MASSIVE! Italian giants Juventus complete USD 104 million transfer of Gonzalo Higuain from Napoli
- Odisha govt has "nexus" with Maoists: BJP probe team