Sharapova hammers Cibulkova to reach last four
Wimbledon: Fifth seed and tournament favourite Maria Sharapova powered into the Wimbledon semi-finals with an emphatic 6-1 6-1 win over an outgunned Dominika Cibulkova on Tuesday.
The tall Russian, the last former champion left in the women`s draw having triumphed in 2004, broke three times in the first set under the Centre Court roof as she dominated the small Slovak from the baseline.
Three further breaks in the second set meant victory, in just over an hour, was a mere formality on the grass.
Having not dropped a set all tournament, Sharapova now looks hot favourite to seal her fourth grand slam title and meets German wildcard Sabine Lisicki in Thursday`s last four.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh