Sharapova storms into second round; Nadal faces scare
Zee Media Bureau
Paris: Defending champion Maria Sharapova needed only 54 minutes to advance to the second round beating Hsieh Su-wei 6-2, 6-1. The No. 2-seeded Sharapova just lost eight points in eight service games.
Rafael Nadal`s bid for eighth French Open title was challenged by German Daniel Brands. But Nadal eventually found his rhythm to steady the ship as the 25-year-old German eventually ran out of firepower.
The King Of Clay and seven-time champion Nadal dropped the opening set of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career before he prevailed 4-6 7-6 (7/4) 6-4 6-3 against a player who had lost all four of his previous matches in Paris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?