Sharapova storms into second round; Nadal faces scare
Zee Media Bureau
Paris: Defending champion Maria Sharapova needed only 54 minutes to advance to the second round beating Hsieh Su-wei 6-2, 6-1. The No. 2-seeded Sharapova just lost eight points in eight service games.
Rafael Nadal`s bid for eighth French Open title was challenged by German Daniel Brands. But Nadal eventually found his rhythm to steady the ship as the 25-year-old German eventually ran out of firepower.
The King Of Clay and seven-time champion Nadal dropped the opening set of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career before he prevailed 4-6 7-6 (7/4) 6-4 6-3 against a player who had lost all four of his previous matches in Paris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city