Sharapova storms into second round; Nadal faces scare
Zee Media Bureau
Paris: Defending champion Maria Sharapova needed only 54 minutes to advance to the second round beating Hsieh Su-wei 6-2, 6-1. The No. 2-seeded Sharapova just lost eight points in eight service games.
Rafael Nadal`s bid for eighth French Open title was challenged by German Daniel Brands. But Nadal eventually found his rhythm to steady the ship as the 25-year-old German eventually ran out of firepower.
The King Of Clay and seven-time champion Nadal dropped the opening set of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career before he prevailed 4-6 7-6 (7/4) 6-4 6-3 against a player who had lost all four of his previous matches in Paris.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane