Sharapova storms into second round; Nadal faces scare
Zee Media Bureau
Paris: Defending champion Maria Sharapova needed only 54 minutes to advance to the second round beating Hsieh Su-wei 6-2, 6-1. The No. 2-seeded Sharapova just lost eight points in eight service games.
Rafael Nadal`s bid for eighth French Open title was challenged by German Daniel Brands. But Nadal eventually found his rhythm to steady the ship as the 25-year-old German eventually ran out of firepower.
The King Of Clay and seven-time champion Nadal dropped the opening set of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career before he prevailed 4-6 7-6 (7/4) 6-4 6-3 against a player who had lost all four of his previous matches in Paris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test