Sharapova thrashes Hampton to charge into third round
Melbourne: Maria Sharapova stormed into the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-0, 6-1 trouncing of American qualifier Jamie Hampton in glorious sunshine on Thursday.
The leggy Russian had too much firepower for the 144th-ranked Hampton and wrapped up the match in just 64 minutes at Rod Laver Arena.
Sharapova, who won the 2008 title in Melbourne, the last of her three grand slams, sealed the match with an imperious cross-court backhand Hampton could only weakly tap back into the net.
The blonde world number four next plays either Germany`s Angelique Kerber and Stephanie Dubois of Canada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources