Sharapova thrashes Hampton to charge into third round
Melbourne: Maria Sharapova stormed into the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-0, 6-1 trouncing of American qualifier Jamie Hampton in glorious sunshine on Thursday.
The leggy Russian had too much firepower for the 144th-ranked Hampton and wrapped up the match in just 64 minutes at Rod Laver Arena.
Sharapova, who won the 2008 title in Melbourne, the last of her three grand slams, sealed the match with an imperious cross-court backhand Hampton could only weakly tap back into the net.
The blonde world number four next plays either Germany`s Angelique Kerber and Stephanie Dubois of Canada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Will shoot policemen if they continue to harass BJP workers, warns BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Brazil court scraps suspension of WhatsApp
- Emaar MGF defends Rahul Gandhi, says allegations levelled by BJP MP are baseless
- Gold price slides by Rs 150 to Rs 30,100 per 10 grams
- SHOCKING! Twitterati abuse Pakistani girl, ask her 'hourly rates' as she wrote blog on 'sex as young woman'