Sharapova thrashes Hampton to charge into third round
Melbourne: Maria Sharapova stormed into the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-0, 6-1 trouncing of American qualifier Jamie Hampton in glorious sunshine on Thursday.
The leggy Russian had too much firepower for the 144th-ranked Hampton and wrapped up the match in just 64 minutes at Rod Laver Arena.
Sharapova, who won the 2008 title in Melbourne, the last of her three grand slams, sealed the match with an imperious cross-court backhand Hampton could only weakly tap back into the net.
The blonde world number four next plays either Germany`s Angelique Kerber and Stephanie Dubois of Canada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom