Sharapova’s hopes of finishing year with ‘numero uno’ ranking still alive
Washington: Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova’s hopes of ending this year as world’s number one player got a boost after she beat Italy`s Sara Errani 6-3 6-2 in straight sets to win opening match in White Group at the WTA Championships in Istanbul.
Sharapova who won the event in 2004, has called attaining the status her biggest priority this week at the season-ending tournament, CNN.com reports.
The 25-year-old needs to win at least two matches in Istanbul while hoping that Victoria Azarenka, the Belarusian who currently holds the title of the world`s best, slips up in the Red Group if she is to finish the year on top, the paper added.
Sharapova, whose victory margin was identical to her only previous meeting with Errani, who she beat in the final of this year`s French Open, was delighted to make an impact at the WTA Championships after injury forced her early withdrawal last year, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- 'Government should make Amitabh face of tobacco control campaign'
- 'Ok Jaanu' stars Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor take party spirit up a notch! - View pictures
- Dempo return to I-League with 3-1 win against Minerva
- At least 700 dead after series of shipwrecks off Libyan coast
- Sidharth Malhotra is spilling hotness all over this summer! - Pic inside