Shukriya Pune: Petkovic
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Pune: There was a riot of colours with all the visiting tennis players for the USD125,000 Sanjay Kakade Group Royal Indian Open WTA Challenger tournament, draped in traditional sarees, enjoyed an evening of ‘Diwali nite’ at the Solaris Club in Kotherud on Wednesday night.
“In Germany, I had seen a lot of Bollywood movies. I loved the music and yesterday I got a chance to shake a leg with the dancers on some of the popular Hindi songsI, said Andrea Petkovic, the former World No 9 and pre tournament favourite.
Twenty-two of the foreign players attended yesterday`s function, lit fire crackers to celebrate the festival of lights.The national champion Prerna Bhambri and runner`s up of this year`s National Championship, Rishika Sunkara were also present.
The ‘Diwali nite’ was organised as a part of a get-together to let the players get a glimpse of Indian culture and provide tennis fans an opportunity to interact with players.
The 16 year old teen sensation, Donna Vekic of Croatia said, " I did not now I can look so good in a Saree. I loved wearing the Indian dress. All the players were gifted sarees by the organizers of the tournament.
“The night was a great success. We had prepared a special presentation on what is Diwali and the whole idea was to make the players understand the meanig of the Festival of Light. The players really had a blast through the evening,” said Sujit Jain, MD of tournament promoters, Netsurf Entertainment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends