Somdev Devvarman tames Zhang to move to quarterfinals of US Challenger
Aptos: A struggling Somdev Devvarman won the war of attrition against Ze Zhang for a second-round win at the USD 100,000 ATP Challenger event here on Friday.
Somdev, who had not won two consecutive matches on the ATP circuit for nearly six months, triumphed 6-7(4) 7-6(6) 7-5 after a long-drawn battle, lasting three hours and two minutes.
It was Somdev`s second win over Zhang in as many meetings, having beaten the Chinese en route to his Delhi Challenger title victory in February.
Somdev next faced top seed and world number 54 Mikhail Kukushkin from Kazakhstan.
Meanwhile, India`s Divij Sharan was ousted in the doubles quarterfinals along with American partner Kevin King. They lost 5-7 3-6 to Ruben Bemelmans and Laurynas Grigelis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok