Somdev Devvarman tames Zhang to move to quarterfinals of US Challenger
Aptos: A struggling Somdev Devvarman won the war of attrition against Ze Zhang for a second-round win at the USD 100,000 ATP Challenger event here on Friday.
Somdev, who had not won two consecutive matches on the ATP circuit for nearly six months, triumphed 6-7(4) 7-6(6) 7-5 after a long-drawn battle, lasting three hours and two minutes.
It was Somdev`s second win over Zhang in as many meetings, having beaten the Chinese en route to his Delhi Challenger title victory in February.
Somdev next faced top seed and world number 54 Mikhail Kukushkin from Kazakhstan.
Meanwhile, India`s Divij Sharan was ousted in the doubles quarterfinals along with American partner Kevin King. They lost 5-7 3-6 to Ruben Bemelmans and Laurynas Grigelis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report