Somdev Devvarman to face Fernando Verdasco in China Open
Beijing: Somdev Devvarman recorded yet another come-from-behind victory as he defeated higher-ranked Italian Paolo Lorenzi to qualify for the ATP China Open singles event.
Ranked 97, the Indian ace recorded a 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-3 win over his rival, who is placed 12 places above Somdev, in the second and final round of the qualifying event.
Somdev had beaten world number 60 Robin Haase 2-6, 6-4, 6-0 in the opening round.
However, Somdev faces an uphill task in the main draw as he has drawn world number 31 Fernando Verdasco as his first round opponent in the USD 3,566,050 hard court event.
And if Somdev manages to get past the formidable Spaniard, his next opponent could be world number one Novak Djokovic of Serbia.
In the doubles event, Leander Paes and his Canadian partner Daniel Nestor have given the top billing and they will open their campaign against Americans John Isner and Sam Querrey.
Mahesh Bhupathi and his Swedish partner Robert Lindstedt are seeded second and they face Djokovic and Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’