Somdev Devvarman, Yuki Bhambri return for Davis Cup tie against Indonesia
New Delhi: Top singles players Somdev Devvarman and Yuki Bhambri today made a return to the Indian Davis Cup team even as Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna continued to be pariahs for the crucial tie against Indonesia in April.
The national selectors met here today and, as expected, picked Somdev, Yuki, Sanam Singh and experienced campaigner Leander Paes for the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I relegation play-off first round tie against Indonesia in Bangalore from April 5-7.
The All India Tennis Association`s (AITA) selection committee also named Vijayant Malik and N Sriram Balaji as reserves while Ram Kumar Ramnathan was picked for practice.
Meanwhile, S P Misra continued to be the non-playing captain while Zeeshan Ali will be the coach.
In the absence of 11 top players, who revolted against the AITA demanding better playing conditions, India had lost the Asia/Oceania Group I first round tie against South Korea 1-4 earlier this month here.
The players ended their rebellion for the time being and made themselves available for the Indonesia tie after AITA agreed to improve the playing conditions and gave all the offers in writing.
Somdev, fifth-highest ranked Indian player at 354th, had beaten the world number 39 Benoit Paire of France in an ongoing ATP event in France.
Yuki is the highest-ranked Indian player in singles at 257th and that went in his favour during selection. He had won both his singles in the relegation play-off tie against New Zealand in September 2012 in Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video