Somdev Devvarmen beats Kunitsyn to enter 2nd round of Dubai event
Dubai: India`s Somdev Devvarman entered the second round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship beating Russia`s Igor Kunitsyn in straight sets, here last night.
Devvarman, who is ranked 315 in the ATP list, needed just over an hour to dispose off the Russian`s challenge with a 6-1 6-4 scoreline.
Tomorrow, the 28-year-old will meet the winner of the first round tie between Cypriot Marcus Baghdatis and Argentine Juan Martin del Potro.
Devvarman put up a solid performance against the Russian, who is 148 places above the Indian, ranked 167 in the list.
India`s best singles player at the moment broke his Russian opponent`s serve four times to take the first set at 6-1.
In the second set, both Devvarman and Kunitsyn held their serves during the first six games to be level at 3-3.
However in the seventh game, Somdev unleashed some booming forehands and including a standout backhand crosscourt shot as he broke the Russian to take a decisive 4-3 lead.
The Indian then held his serve in the next game to go 5-3 up. Kunitsyn however did well as he held onto his serve.
In the 10th and final game, Devvarman won on his second match point as forehand from the Russian went over the baseline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?