Somdev ecstatic after sensational win
Johannesburg: Somdev Devvarman was elated after pulling off an unbelievable victory over Rik de Voest in a Davis Cup World Group play-off tie and said confidence never deserted him even when he was down by two sets.
Somdev erased a two set deficit to battle past the South African and helped India make the World Group after 11 years.
“After I took the the third set, I knew it was going to be a very physically match and I had full confidence in my abilities and fitness. I am happy with the way I came through. It’s definitely a great feeling,” he said.
Sondev had special words for his opponent, with whom he shares coach.
“He started playing unbelievable tennis. He was spot on with his tactics and was executing them really well. Rik is a great player and a great teammate. He was making me look silly at the start, I am just honoured to play such a great match with him,” he said.
The young Indian thanked his teammates, who cheered for him right through the match.
“I kept on looking at my bench. They never lost hope on me and they just carried me through this match. I am thankful to my whole team for supporting me constantly.”
“We have been working really hard for and I am happy for the senior guys of the team because they have put some much work into this,” he said.
India’s non-playing captain S P Misra was also happy that under his captaincy the team qualified for the World group and heaped lavish praise on Somdev for his effort.
“I am relieved a man today. After being two-nil down it was a long way to comeback but I had faith in Somdev. Because once he gets started, he climbs up. He gave us whatever we wanted. He is brilliant player.”
“It’s a great achievement for us. After 11 years we are into the World Group, specially when I am the captain,” he said.
As the fifth rubber became inconsequential, Misra handed Yuki Bhambri his debut in the Davis Cup. He was all praise for the 17-year-old teen, who is world number one junior player.
Misra said he has high hopes from Yuki.
“Yes, the future is very bright. He’s got a great future, he is just 17 and he will be there for a long time. He and Somdev will be a great team for India in the Davis Cup,” Misra signed off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir