Somdev gets top billing at Singapore ATP Challenger
Singapore: Indian tennis ace Somdev Devvarman has been given the top billing in the Singapore ATP Challenger series event starting here on Monday.
The Asian Games gold medallist, ranked 108th in the ATP chart, will play his opening round singles match against Thai wild card Peerakiat Siriluethaiwattana.
Another Indian in the fray, wild card Karan Rastogi will take on Aussie Brydan Klein in the USD 50,000 prize money hard court tournament, to be played at Kallang tennis Centre here.
Indian American Rajeev Ram, a top 100 player in the ATP chart, will take on a qualifier in the opening round.
Japanese Davis Cupper and 119th ranked Go Soeda has been ranked second according to the main draw released on Sunday. Italian Paolo Lorenzi will be the third seed while Russian Alexander Kudryavtsev has been seeded fourth.
“The seedings don’t matter to me there are lot good players in the event, it is very important for me to focus and play my own game. I’ll be taking on one match at a time, I’ve been hitting well lately and hope to win as many matches as possible,” said Somdev after the draw.
The winner of the event will take home a prize purse of USD 7200 and 90 ATP points, while the runners-up will receive USD 4240 and 55 ATP points.
The semifinalists will take home USD 2510 and 33 points, while the quarterfinalists will receive USD 1460 and 17 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam