Somdev-Huey in final of Farmer`s Classic
Los Angeles (US): Somdev Devvarman earned himself a good chance to win his first ever ATP title after reaching the doubles final of the Farmer`s Classic along with Treat Conrad Huey with a hard fought three-set win over Israeli pair of Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram here.
The unseeded Indo-Philippine pair, who had shocked the top seeds earlier, edged past the fourth seed Israeli duo 7-6 (6), 6-7 (8), 10-4 after a close to two-hour battle in the semi-finals of the USD 619,50 tournament.
They next face third seed Mark Knowles Bahamas and Xavier Malisse of Belarus.
It is for the first time that Somdev has reached the final of an ATP doubles event. He has made two singles final so far. He reached final of Chennai Open, his home event, in 2009 and in Johannesburg early this year.
Somdev and Huey nosed ahead after a stiff first set but could not stop their opponents from stretching the match to Super Tie break.
However they prevailed over the Israelis, scoring points when it mattered most.
Somdev`s singles campaign had earlier ended with a 4-6, 6-7 (7) first round defeat at the hands of Ryan Sweeting of the United States.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India