Somdev in last eight, Rastogi out of Singapore ATP Challenger
Singapore: Top seeded Somdev Devvarman registered a comfortable straight set victory over Australian John Millman to enter into the quarterfinals of the Singapore
ATP Challenger, while Karan Rastogi bowed out of the event after losing to Russia`s Dmitry Tursonov in the second round.
Somdev played some intelligent tennis to outplay his opponent 6-4, 6-3 in just one and a half hours at the Kallang tennis centre.
During the course of the match, Somdev hit five aces and got 71 per cent of first serves right against the 203rd ranked Australian Millman.
In the first set, Somdev broke Millman once in the third game, while in the second set he broke his opponent twice -- first in the third and then in the ninth game.
Somdev will take on eighth seeded and 169th ranked Andrej Martin of Slovakia in the quarterfinal match to be played tomorrow.
Meanwhile, former world No 20 Tursonov proved too strong for wildcard entrant 332nd ranked Rastogi, as he got the better of the Indian 6-4, 6-2 in one hour and six minutes.
Rastogi, who also lost in the doubles yesterday, earned eight ATP points for his effort.
Tursonov, ranked 197, will now play Italy`s Flavio Cippola in the last eight tomorrow.
In the biggest upset of the day, Singaporean born American wildcard entrant Michael Yani, returning back to his country after 22 years, knocked out third seeded and 140th ranked Italian Paolo Lorenzi to make it to the last eight stage.
In another match, American-Indian Rajiv Ram saved seven match points and fired 14 aces before going down to sixth seeded Czech player Lukas Rosol 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(6) in a match lasting 2 hours and 48 minutes.
Results (second round singles): Somdev Devvarman (Ind) bt John Millman (Aus) 6-4, 6-3; Andrej Martin (Svk) bt Matteo Viola (Ita) 6-4, 7-5; Dmitry Tursonov (Rus) bt Karan Rastogi (Ind) 6-3, 6-2; Lukas Rosol (Cze) bt Rajeev Ram (USA) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(6); Michael Yani (USA) bt Paolo Lorenzi (Ita) 6-3, 6-4; Ito Tatsuma (Jpn) bt Nick Lindhal (Swe) 6-0, 1-2 retd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'