Somdev lose to Garcia-Lopez in US Men`s Clay court tourney
Houston: India`s Somdev Devvarman failed to reach the quarterfinal of the US Men`s Clay Court Championship here after losing to third-seeded Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain 4-6, 1-6.
Having had a good run in the hardcourt events at Indian
Wells and Miami, Somdev registered a solid opening round
victory over American Robert Kendrick but the clay-court
specialist Garcia-Lopez proved too strong for him.
The third-seeded and world number 26 Garcia-Lopez, who
got a bye in his first round of the USD 442,500 ATP event,
overcame five double-faults before getting the better of the
Indian in one hour and 27 minutes and book a berth in the last
The Spaniard started on a positive note, breaking
Somdev`s serve in the fourth game to lead the first set 4-1.
Somdev, though broke back immediately but eventually lost
control in the tenth game and lost the set 4-6.
The second set turned out to be simply a lop-sided affair
as Garcia-Lopez stole a series of games to complete set up the
quarterfinal clash against Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar