Somdev loses to Del Potro in 2nd round of Dubai event
Dubai: Somdev Devvarman of India bowed out of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship losing to Argentina`s Juan-Martin del Potro in straight sets, here on Wednesday.
The world No 7 defeated Devvarman 6-4 6-4 in over an hour to enter the quarter-final of the ATP 500 event.
Devvarman, who is ranked 315th in the ATP list fought hard but the Argentine proved to be far too superior with his all-round game as he broke the Indian once in each set to clinch the match without breaking much sweat.
28-year-old Devvarman did come close to breaking his opponent`s serve on three occasions but failed to seize the initiative as Del Potro hit some lovely winners.
His serving was also better than his Indian opponent as his first and second serve succes percentage of 84 and 68 percent was much better compared to Devvarman`s 64 and 56 percent respectively.
While Somdev did fire five aces compared to his rival`s couple, Del Potro proved to superior as he won the big points with ease.
However Somdev having beaten a higher ranked Igor Kunitsyn in the first round is expected to get a few points and move up the ladder when ATP releases the fresh ranking list.
Later in the evening, Rohan Bopanna and Rajeev Ram will be playing against Jean-Julien Roger and Aisam-ul Haq Qureshi.
Mahesh Bhupathi and Frenchman Michael Llodra are pitted against Serbian pair of Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in