Somdev loses to Del Potro in 2nd round of Dubai event
Dubai: Somdev Devvarman of India bowed out of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship losing to Argentina`s Juan-Martin del Potro in straight sets, here on Wednesday.
The world No 7 defeated Devvarman 6-4 6-4 in over an hour to enter the quarter-final of the ATP 500 event.
Devvarman, who is ranked 315th in the ATP list fought hard but the Argentine proved to be far too superior with his all-round game as he broke the Indian once in each set to clinch the match without breaking much sweat.
28-year-old Devvarman did come close to breaking his opponent`s serve on three occasions but failed to seize the initiative as Del Potro hit some lovely winners.
His serving was also better than his Indian opponent as his first and second serve succes percentage of 84 and 68 percent was much better compared to Devvarman`s 64 and 56 percent respectively.
While Somdev did fire five aces compared to his rival`s couple, Del Potro proved to superior as he won the big points with ease.
However Somdev having beaten a higher ranked Igor Kunitsyn in the first round is expected to get a few points and move up the ladder when ATP releases the fresh ranking list.
Later in the evening, Rohan Bopanna and Rajeev Ram will be playing against Jean-Julien Roger and Aisam-ul Haq Qureshi.
Mahesh Bhupathi and Frenchman Michael Llodra are pitted against Serbian pair of Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'