Somdev loses to Verdasco in first round of China Open
Beijing: India`s Somdev Devvarman has crashed out of the China Open in the first round after he lost to Spanish player Fernando Verdasco 6-7, 3-6 in 1 hour and 36 minutes.
Somdev lost serve in the opening game of the first set but broke back to tie the score at 5-5, and then lost the tie-beak despite having four set points, leading once at 6-2.
In the second set, Verdasco had the advantage of serving first and broke Devvarman in the 7th game to take the lead, winning the set 6-3 later to win the match.
The first set took an hour and a minute while the second took 35 minutes to complete.
The China Open is an ATP 500 event and has players like Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal competing for the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened