Somdev outplayed by Donskoy to mark end of Indian challenge
Kolkata: The Indian challenge at the USD 50,000 ATP Challenger Tour ended on Friday after Russian third seed Evgeny Donskoy outplayed Somdev Devvarman to set up a final clash against a spirited Ilija Bozoljac of Serbia.
Barring the first set which the second seed Somdev won after breaking his opponent in the second game, it was the Russian all the way as he clinched the match 3-6 7-5 6-2.
The day, however, belonged to unseeded Bozoljac as the world-ranked 270 showed an astounding comeback after losing nine straight games to stun the top seed and world-ranked 93 Aleksandr Nedovyesov 0-6 7-5 6-3.
India found some solace in the doubles which was won by the wild card duo of Saketh Myneni and Sanam Singh who downed Vishnu Vardhan and Divij Sharan 6-3 3-6 10-4.
Having beaten the Russian in ATP world Tour Masters in Miami last year, Somdev started as the favourite in front of a boisterous crowd as he won the first set 6-3 with just a break of serve in the second game.
The second set witnessed a lot of service breaks by both the players.
Somdev, at 5-6 on serve faltered as he could not convert the crucial points in his favour to concede the second set 5-7 and take the match into the decider.
Slipping from bad to worse, Somdev committed a lot of unforced errors as the Russian broke in the fourth game before wrapping up the issue with another break in the eighth game.
"I really could hit well in the third set with good forehand and backhand... I felt really confident.
"I got breaks and then broken, I got two or three winners that gave me confidence into the third set," Donskoy who is recovering from a back injury after making a third round exit against Lleyton Hewitt in the US Open, said.
"After the US Open, I played in Russia where I had a back injury. But now I`ve started to play again," Donskoy said ahead of his final against Bozoljac.
The Serbian enthralled the crowd in the first match of the day as his grand recovery after losing the first set 0-6 and trailing 0-3 in the second.
"I was telling myself, this was `unbelievable, imagine losing a match 0-6, 0-6` and the next thing I would see that my wife, my family and my coach had left...
"You can`t believe what it is being in the courts. But my fitness coach (Petar Milcanovic) told me leave the first set aside and you can still win," the Serbian said.
Suddenly from been technically 0-9 down, a fighting Bozoljac unbelievably accelerated his standard and took three straight games to make it 3-3 in the second set.
Here Nodevyesov succeeded in holding his serve as well as broke the Serbian, thereby taking a lead of 5-3.
But unfortunately, he succumbed to a spirited Bozoljac, as the later went away with the set 7-5.
In the decider, Nedovyesov was broken twice, once at 1-1 and then again in the ninth game as the unseeded Serbian won magically.
Men`s Singles, SFs: Ilija Bozoljac (SRB) b Aleksandr Nedovyesov (KAZ) 0-6, 7-5, 6-3; Evgeny Donskoy (RUS) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.
Men`s Doubles, Final: Saketh Myneni/ Sanam Singh b Divij Sharan/ Vishnu Vardhan 6-3, 3-6, 10-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'