Somdev storms into Delhi Open final
New Delhi: Second-seed Somdev Devvarman marched into the men`s singles final of the $100,000 ONGC GAIL Delhi Open ATP Challenger with a convincing victory over fourth-seed Evgeny Donskoy here Friday.
Somdev, India`s top ranked tennis player, beat the Russian 6-4, 6-2 in an hour and 29 minutes at the Delhi Lawn Tennis Association (DLTA) Complex.
Somdev, who was knocked out in the semis of the earlier two Challenger tournaments in Chennai and Kolkata, reached his third career ATP event final with the victory over the 114th-ranked Russian.
The 29-year-old also avenged his semi-final defeat to Donskoy earlier this month in Kolkata.
The first set was a close fought affair with both players winning five break-point opportunites. The Indian was broken twice but managed to convert three of his own break-points to take the first set.
In the second, Somdev was brilliant with his service return, winning 75 percent points on the Russian`s second serve.
Failure to convert break-point chances returned to haunt the Russian as he managed to convert just one out of three. In contrast, Sonmdev was ruthless and converted all three break-points on offer.
Somdev will face the winner of the other semi-final between top-seeded Kazakh Aleksandr Nedovyesov and Ilija Bozoljac of Serbia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof