Somdev to begin India`s fight against Indonesia
Bangalore: India`s number one singles player Somdev Devvarman will open country`s campaign against Wisnu Adi Nugroho of Indonesia in the Asia/Oceania Group I first round relegation play-off tie, beginning here from Friday.
India number two Yuki Bhambri will lock horns against Indonesia number one Christopher Rungkat in the second singles on day one of the tie at Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA) Stadium.
On day two, Leander Paes and Sanam Singh will take on David Agung Susanto and Elbert Sie in the doubles rubber.
On the final day of the tie, Rungkat will play Somdev and Wisnu will face Yuki in the reverse singles.
India`s non-playing captain S P Misra said, "It is a good draw and the team expects Somdev will give a good start which will help Yuki gaining confidence going into the second match of day one."
Paes, the senior-most player in the tie, said, "I believe we got to go out there and execute. I am looking forward to the tie. The team looks fabulous in terms of mix of youth and experience."
"Somdev is spearhead of our team. To play through another generation is a great joy," he added.
Somdev said his approach remains same while going into every match.
"I don`t think about who I am facing. Whether he has played against me or not before. I know what I am going to do. Hopefully I will do my best to execute the plan tomorrow and try and get a point to us. My opponent (Wisnu) is obviously young and he is playing Davis Cup because he has something in him," he said.
Yuki hopes to end the day with a 2-0 lead at the end of day one.
"It is going to be a fresh day. I am looking forward to the match and playing under lights is something new in the Davis Cup," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister