Somdev to face Djokovic in 3rd round of Miami Masters
Miami: India`s top singles player Somdev Devvarman has outlasted Frenchman Edourado Roger-Vasselin over three sets and will next play top seed and World No.1 Novak Djokovic in the third round of the ATP World Tour Miami Masters here.
The Indian fought back with relentless tennis in a late night match on Friday to win 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 in two hours 20 minutes against Roger-Vasselin, who made it to the main draw as Lucky Loser after the 30th seed Feliciano Lopez of Spain pulled out.
Somdev, ranked 254 after missing much of last year`s action on the Tour because of a shoulder injury, which was cut above Roger-Vasselin, who is ranked 80.
Somdev`s service did the trick for him as he fired seven aces to his opponent`s two, though he also double-faulted four times. He clinched over 70 percent of points on his serve to keep his nose ahead in the second and third sets after losing the first set after being broken in the seventh game.
An early break in the second set was enough for Somdev to take the second set and in the decider games went with the serve till the 12th game when the Indian had the decisive break.
The Indian converted three of the eight break points he got while saving seven of the nine.
Meanwhile, Djokovic breezed through his second round match against Czech Lukas Rosol 6-1, 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation