Somdev wins first match to give India 1-0 lead
Bangalore: Somdev Devvarman scripted a clinical victory over Wisnu Adi Nugroho of Indonesia to give a 1-0 lead to India in the Asia/Oceania Davis Cup Group I first round relegation play-off tie here on Friday.
As expected Somdev registered a comfortable 6-1 6-2 6-2 win in the opening singles match that lasted 90 minutes.
After winning two sets, Somdev sealed the match in the eighth game of the third set after producing a superlative ace.
Wisnu, because of lack of maturity and experience at the top level, looked out of sorts and could not match his Indian opponent.
Going by the medium and bouncy nature of the surface, it was clear from the first game itself that hanging in and putting more balls inside the lines was all that mattered.
To his credit, Wisnu did run hard, retrieved a good number of balls but missed far too many shots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Trump vows to begin deportations immediately if sworn in
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio