Somdev wins first match to give India 1-0 lead
Bangalore: Somdev Devvarman scripted a clinical victory over Wisnu Adi Nugroho of Indonesia to give a 1-0 lead to India in the Asia/Oceania Davis Cup Group I first round relegation play-off tie here on Friday.
As expected Somdev registered a comfortable 6-1 6-2 6-2 win in the opening singles match that lasted 90 minutes.
After winning two sets, Somdev sealed the match in the eighth game of the third set after producing a superlative ace.
Wisnu, because of lack of maturity and experience at the top level, looked out of sorts and could not match his Indian opponent.
Going by the medium and bouncy nature of the surface, it was clear from the first game itself that hanging in and putting more balls inside the lines was all that mattered.
To his credit, Wisnu did run hard, retrieved a good number of balls but missed far too many shots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble