Somdev wins first match to give India 1-0 lead
Bangalore: Somdev Devvarman scripted a clinical victory over Wisnu Adi Nugroho of Indonesia to give a 1-0 lead to India in the Asia/Oceania Davis Cup Group I first round relegation play-off tie here on Friday.
As expected Somdev registered a comfortable 6-1 6-2 6-2 win in the opening singles match that lasted 90 minutes.
After winning two sets, Somdev sealed the match in the eighth game of the third set after producing a superlative ace.
Wisnu, because of lack of maturity and experience at the top level, looked out of sorts and could not match his Indian opponent.
Going by the medium and bouncy nature of the surface, it was clear from the first game itself that hanging in and putting more balls inside the lines was all that mattered.
To his credit, Wisnu did run hard, retrieved a good number of balls but missed far too many shots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees