Somdev wins first match to give India 1-0 lead
Bangalore: Somdev Devvarman scripted a clinical victory over Wisnu Adi Nugroho of Indonesia to give a 1-0 lead to India in the Asia/Oceania Davis Cup Group I first round relegation play-off tie here on Friday.
As expected Somdev registered a comfortable 6-1 6-2 6-2 win in the opening singles match that lasted 90 minutes.
After winning two sets, Somdev sealed the match in the eighth game of the third set after producing a superlative ace.
Wisnu, because of lack of maturity and experience at the top level, looked out of sorts and could not match his Indian opponent.
Going by the medium and bouncy nature of the surface, it was clear from the first game itself that hanging in and putting more balls inside the lines was all that mattered.
To his credit, Wisnu did run hard, retrieved a good number of balls but missed far too many shots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory