Somdev, Yuki get closer to semis clash against each other
Chennai: India`s top two singles players, Somdev Devvarman and Yuki Bhambri today headed towards a possible semifinal clash in the USD 50,000 ATP Challenger event after beating their respective rivals in contrasting fashion, here.
Top seed Somdev came back from a set down New Zealand`s Michael Venus 6-7 (4) 6-0 6-3 in almost three-hour pre-quarterfinal contest.
The tall and well built Venus unleashed whipping forehands from both flanks while Somdev stoutly held in his characteristic way. An energetic display of aggressive volleying coupled with strong serve in the tiebreaker sealed the first set in the Kiwi`s favor.
But Venus who had played three rounds of qualifying and a three-set match earlier was exhausted and Somdev ran away with the second set 6-0 and took an upper hand in the third right away.
Venus did try valiantly to catch up but Somdev served effectively including aces to save the breakpoints.
Seventh seeded Yuki made short work of Gerrard Granollers 6-2 6-1 in quick time.
Somdev now faces Spain`s Jordi Samper-Montana in the quarter-finals while Yuki will clash with Frenchman Lucas Pouille in his last-eight stage match.
In the bottom half of the draw, wild card Saketh Myneni and qualifier Sanam Singh also got closer to a semifinal face off.
Myneni, who made his Davis Cup debut last week, served and stroked fluently to put out the eighth seed Italian Thomas Fabbiano 6-3 6-2.
Sanam edged past compatriot and wild card N Sriram Balaji 6-1 4-6 7-6(1) in a grueling second-round contest.
Balaji served and returned well consistently after being routed in the opening set. The third set was a cliffhanger, decided via tie-breaker.
Somdev Devvarman (Seed 1) Bt. Michael Venus (Nzl) Q 6-7(4), 6-0, 6-3.
Jordi Samper-Montana (ESP) Bt. Steven Diez (Can) 6-3, 3-1 ret. Lucas Pouille (Fra) Bt. Illya Marchenko (Ukr) (Seed 4) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Yuki Bhambri (Seed 7) Bt. Gerard Granollers (Esp) 6-2, 6-1.
Saketh Myneni Bt. Thomas Fabbiano (Ita) (Seed 8) 6-3, 6-2.
Alexander Kudryavtsev (Rus) Bt. Blaz Rola (Slo) 6-4, 6-1.
Sanam Singh (Q) Bt. N. Sriram Balaji (WC) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6(1).
Donskoy (Rus) (Seed 2) Bt. Rui Machado (Por) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(0)
Steven Diez (Can)/Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (ESP) Bt. Ilija Bozoljac (Srb)/Somdev Devvarman (Ind) 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-3.
Gerard Granollers (ESP)/Adrian Menendez-Maceiras (Esp)  Bt. Victor Baluda (Rus)/Alexander Kudryavtsev (Rus) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
Ti Chen (Tpe)/Marek Semjan (Svk) Bt. [WC] Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (Ind)/Ramkumar Ramanathan (Ind) 6-3, 6-4.
Hsien-Yin Peng (Tpe)/Tsung-Hua Yang (Tpe) Bt. [WC] Saketh Myneni (Ind)/Sanam Singh (Ind) 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
Yuki Bhambri (Ind)/Michael Venus (Nzl)  Bt. Ruan Roelofse (Rsa)/Izak Van Der Merwe (RSA)6-3, 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing