Sony Open doubles win gives Martina Hingis first title in 7 years
Miami: Switzerland`s Martina Hingis walked away with a share of the women`s doubles championship Sunday at the Sony Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, winning her first title in seven years on the WTA Tour.
The 33-year-old Hingis, former world No. 1 who quit tennis after testing positive for cocaine, and Germany`s Sabine Lisicki defeated the Russian team of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 in Sunday`s doubles final at the Crandon Park Tennis Center.
Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion, retired after testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon in 2007 and receiving a two-year suspension.
She resumed playing doubles last summer, coaching and teaming up with Lisicki on the tour.
The Sony Open is one of the biggest hard-court events on the ATP and WTA calendars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them