Sony Open doubles win gives Martina Hingis first title in 7 years
Miami: Switzerland`s Martina Hingis walked away with a share of the women`s doubles championship Sunday at the Sony Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, winning her first title in seven years on the WTA Tour.
The 33-year-old Hingis, former world No. 1 who quit tennis after testing positive for cocaine, and Germany`s Sabine Lisicki defeated the Russian team of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 in Sunday`s doubles final at the Crandon Park Tennis Center.
Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion, retired after testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon in 2007 and receiving a two-year suspension.
She resumed playing doubles last summer, coaching and teaming up with Lisicki on the tour.
The Sony Open is one of the biggest hard-court events on the ATP and WTA calendars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'