Sony Open doubles win gives Martina Hingis first title in 7 years
Miami: Switzerland`s Martina Hingis walked away with a share of the women`s doubles championship Sunday at the Sony Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, winning her first title in seven years on the WTA Tour.
The 33-year-old Hingis, former world No. 1 who quit tennis after testing positive for cocaine, and Germany`s Sabine Lisicki defeated the Russian team of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 in Sunday`s doubles final at the Crandon Park Tennis Center.
Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion, retired after testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon in 2007 and receiving a two-year suspension.
She resumed playing doubles last summer, coaching and teaming up with Lisicki on the tour.
The Sony Open is one of the biggest hard-court events on the ATP and WTA calendars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?