Spain beats Australia at Hopman Cup
Perth: Fernando Verdasco and Anabel Medina Garrigues beat Lleyton Hewitt and Jarmila Gajdosova in a mixed doubles third set tiebreaker to give Spain a 2-1 victory over Australia in their Hopman Cup encounter on Sunday at the Burswood Dome.
According to Hopman Cup rules, the mixed doubles is decided by a tiebreaker if sides win a set apiece. The first pair to reach 10 points with at least a two-point advantage wins the match.
Earlier, Gajdosova beat Medina Garrigues 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 to give Australia a 1-0 lead on the indoor hard courts.
Verdasco then beat Hewitt 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, breaking Hewitt`s serve in the final game, to leave the countries level at 1-1.
On Monday, Czech Republic plays Bulgaria and the United States, with Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Mardy Fish, takes on top-ranked Caroline Wozniacki and Frederik Nielsen of Denmark.
France beat China 2-1 in the eight-country tournament`s opening match on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH