Spaniard Agut upsets top seed Berdych in Chennai Open
Chennai: Lesser known Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut, scored the biggest upset of the tournament when he ousted World Number six and top seeded Thomas Berdych (Czech) 7-5, 6-2, 6-3 in 139 minutes to make the semi final of the Aircel ATP Chennai Open Tennis tournament here tonight.
Amongst the four top 20 players, who played their respective rivals for the first time on the ATP tour, only second seeded Janko Tipservic progressed to the semi finals, while third seed Marin Cilic (Croatia) and Stanislas Wawrinka (Sui-ranked 17) besides Berdych were eliminated.
In a match that witnessed equal share of the points won or lost, Agut, ranked 80, was able to beat Berdych sheerly on his consistence while Berdych made lot of unforced errors, importantly on crucial points.
With the rivals holding on to their service games 5-5, Agut made it 6-5 and then readied himself to find ways to break Berdych in the 12th game. Here Berdych could save just two set points before yielding the initiative.
In the second, the Spaniard played flawless tennis equipped with solid forehand drives and volleys. The games again went on serve and Augt broke Berdych in the eighth to signal the biggest upset of the tournament.
In the ninth, Berdych had his chances to break back but wilted under pressure. In fact the first three points scored by Agut were when Berdych hit his forehands long and then the Spaniard had an open court to hit a forehand winner for the game and the match.
In the semi finals, Janko Tipersic (Serbia), the favourite for the title take on Aljaz Benedene of Slovakia, while Augt plays fifth seed Benoit Paire of France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre