Sriram wins ITF Future Tennis title
Chennai: Former national champion Sriram Balaji won the singles title in the ITF Future Tennis Championship after he scored a straight-set win over Switzerland`s Joss Espasandin 6-3, 6-4 in the final held at the MCC Courts here on Saturday.
In the first set, Balaji broke Joss in the fourth game and then held serve confidently before winning it 6-3. At the end of the first set, Espasandin needed a medical time-out apparently due to hot and humid conditions.
At the start of the second set, Sriram seemed to have lost in concentration and allowed himself to be broken by his rival, who led 2-0. Balaji took little time to find his composure once again and broke Joss in the following game and then held serve to level at 2-2.
Once again in the ninth game, Balaji, playing consistently and solidly, broke Joss and won the match serving two aces to win the 10th game. Sriram collected a winner`s purse of Rs. 65,000 (USD 1300) and Joss received Rs. 45,000 (USD 900).
N Sankar, Chairman Sanmar Group, gave away the prizes and Mrs Subramaniam, wife of the late S R Subramaniam, gave away the `S R Subramaniam Rolling Trophy` to winner Sriram Balaji.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!