Steep fall for Somdev, slips to 89 in singles ranking
New Delhi: India`s singles star Somdev Devvarman, who will return to action this week, has suffered a steep slide of 19 places to 89 in the ATP rankings, issued on Monday.
Somdev, who was advised two weeks` rest after suffering a shoulder strain during India`s recent Davis Cup tie against Japan, will compete in the Malaysian Open.
He will open his campaign against a qualifier.
Another out of action player Sania Mirza has gained two places to be 86. Sania`s doubles ranking was unchanged at number 10 and there was no change in her team ranking with Elena Vesnina as they stand at number four.
In the ATP doubles rankings, Mahesh Bhupathi (6), Leander Paes (8) and Rohan Bopanna (14) also maintained their respective positions.
In the doubles race to year-end championship also, Paes and Bhupathi held on to their fourth rank and the Indo-Pak pair of Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi were also static at number seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- DNA: Minor burnt three puppies to death in Hyderabad
- DNA: Today in History, July 21, 2016
- ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth mania grips nation – WATCH to believe it
- Two UAE women reunite with Indian mother after 28 years
- Dalit youth beaten, urinated upon in Bihar, says FIR
- Lok Sabha Speaker calls Bhagwant Mann video of Parliament security 'serious', hints action is coming
- Himachal sees 26 percent deficit rainfall