Steep fall for Somdev, slips to 89 in singles ranking
New Delhi: India`s singles star Somdev Devvarman, who will return to action this week, has suffered a steep slide of 19 places to 89 in the ATP rankings, issued on Monday.
Somdev, who was advised two weeks` rest after suffering a shoulder strain during India`s recent Davis Cup tie against Japan, will compete in the Malaysian Open.
He will open his campaign against a qualifier.
Another out of action player Sania Mirza has gained two places to be 86. Sania`s doubles ranking was unchanged at number 10 and there was no change in her team ranking with Elena Vesnina as they stand at number four.
In the ATP doubles rankings, Mahesh Bhupathi (6), Leander Paes (8) and Rohan Bopanna (14) also maintained their respective positions.
In the doubles race to year-end championship also, Paes and Bhupathi held on to their fourth rank and the Indo-Pak pair of Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi were also static at number seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre