Steep fall for Somdev, slips to 89 in singles ranking
New Delhi: India`s singles star Somdev Devvarman, who will return to action this week, has suffered a steep slide of 19 places to 89 in the ATP rankings, issued on Monday.
Somdev, who was advised two weeks` rest after suffering a shoulder strain during India`s recent Davis Cup tie against Japan, will compete in the Malaysian Open.
He will open his campaign against a qualifier.
Another out of action player Sania Mirza has gained two places to be 86. Sania`s doubles ranking was unchanged at number 10 and there was no change in her team ranking with Elena Vesnina as they stand at number four.
In the ATP doubles rankings, Mahesh Bhupathi (6), Leander Paes (8) and Rohan Bopanna (14) also maintained their respective positions.
In the doubles race to year-end championship also, Paes and Bhupathi held on to their fourth rank and the Indo-Pak pair of Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi were also static at number seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview