Stepanek gives Czechs 1-0 lead in Japan
Tokyo: Radek Stepanek gave champions Czech Republic a 1-0 lead in their Davis Cup quarter-final against Japan when he came from a set down to beat Tatsuma Ito 6-7(5) 7-6(5) 6-1 7-5 in Tokyo on Friday.
The 35-year-old former world number eight fired down 18 aces to quell the challenge of his 146th ranked opponent in three hours, 53 minutes at the Ariake Coliseum after going down in a tight first set tiebreak.
The Czechs, who are targeting a third successive title, will look to lock up an imposing 2-0 lead when Lukas Rosol takes on 21-year-old Taro Daniel in the second singles rubber later on Friday.
Ito and Daniel are bearing the weight of Japan`s hopes of prgressing after world number 18 Kei Nishikori withdrew with a groin strain and Go Soeda was laid low by a fever.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown