Stosur through to US Open quarterfinals
New York: Australian tennis star Samantha Stosur defeated Russian 25th seed Maria Kirilenko 6-2, 6-7, (15-17), 6-3, to make it to the US Open quarterfinals for the second straight year.
Stosur blasted her way through the first set in half an hour before dropping the second in the longest tiebreak in women’s grand slam singles history, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
After an extended break, Stosur came back out onto the grandstand court and eventually took control of the fourth round encounter to win in two hours and 37 minutes.
The ninth-seed will now play either last year’s finalist Vera Zvonareva, who defeated German 22nd seed Sabine Lisicki 6-2, 6-3.
Stosur’s best US Open campaign was in 2010 when she lost to eventual champion Kim Clijsters in three sets in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'