Stosur through to US Open quarterfinals
New York: Australian tennis star Samantha Stosur defeated Russian 25th seed Maria Kirilenko 6-2, 6-7, (15-17), 6-3, to make it to the US Open quarterfinals for the second straight year.
Stosur blasted her way through the first set in half an hour before dropping the second in the longest tiebreak in women’s grand slam singles history, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
After an extended break, Stosur came back out onto the grandstand court and eventually took control of the fourth round encounter to win in two hours and 37 minutes.
The ninth-seed will now play either last year’s finalist Vera Zvonareva, who defeated German 22nd seed Sabine Lisicki 6-2, 6-3.
Stosur’s best US Open campaign was in 2010 when she lost to eventual champion Kim Clijsters in three sets in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing