Success brings confidence, not pressure, says Nadal
Melbourne: Novak Djokovic comes into the Australian Open final shouldering the expectations of defending champion and with a huge target on his back after winning back-to-back grand slam titles.
But Rafa Nadal would swap places with him in a heartbeat.
The Spaniard, who will face Djokovic in Sunday`s Melbourne final, believes the world number one`s stellar run in 2011 would bring him confidence, not added pressure.
"It`s a fantastic situation to be in," Nadal told reporters Saturday. "It`s really not a tough one.
"When you are coming with that confidence everything is a little bit easier."
Djokovic kicked off a career-defining year by winning the Australian Open and went on to win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open while compiling a remarkable 70-6 record over the season.
Nadal knows perhaps better than anyone what kind of impact such a streak of success can have on a player`s psyche.
The Spaniard came into last year`s Melbourne Park tournament seeking the "Rafa Slam" after winning the final three majors of 2010.
While he went out in the quarter-finals to David Ferrer, pressure had nothing to do with it, he says.
"I was a little bit unlucky here last year when I played for the grand slam," he added. "I didn`t feel extra pressure. That`s true. I had an injury in the quarter-finals so I was out.
"I think for (Djokovic) it`s an advantage, not a pressure, to be in that situation."
`BIG, BIG TEST`
Nadal, who arrived at his news conference an hour late after getting the time wrong, came into the year`s first grand slam under an injury cloud with shoulder and knee problems but has looked stronger as the tournament has gone on.
Djokovic, meanwhile, has companied of allergy issues and his breathing looked laboured in recent games, particularly in the early stages of his five-set semi-final win over Britain`s Andy Murray Friday.
Nadal was sceptical there was anything wrong with the Serb.
"It`s funny, I saw the match yesterday on TV ... and they show images from two hours, 50 (minutes) before and it seems like he was destroyed," he said.
"Two hours, 50 later he was in perfect condition. So it`s difficult to imagine he has these problems."
Nadal holds the upper hand against Djokovic at 16 wins to the Serb`s 13, but recent finals have gone the way of the world number one.
The Mallorcan acknowledged there would be no quarter asked or given Sunday.
"He is the favourite after being number one in the world and after playing fantastic and beating me the last six times," added Nadal, who beat Roger Federer and Tomas Berdych in the previous two rounds.
"Now it`s another big, big test. I don`t know if I am ready enough to win the match tomorrow but I believe that I can do it and I am going to fight for it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in