Tennis rebellion ends, all available for Indonesia DC tie
New Delhi: The five-week long tennis crisis ended on Saturday as all the 11 rebel players made themselves available for the tie against Indonesia, a day after AITA gave all the assurances with regard to Davis Cup playing conditions in writing.
"Yes, the players have written to AITA, making themselves available for the April tie against Indonesia," an AITA source said.
The players, led by Somdev Devvarman, had put forward a charter of demands before the national tennis federation ahead of the Chennai Open.
AITA yielded to most of the demands but the players refused to play the Korea tie since they did not get a few assurances in writing.
Yesterday, AITA gave all the assurances in black and white and expectedly the players ended the rebellion.
AITA agreed to increase players` share in Davis Cup prize money, change the support staff and consult them for choice of venue and surface.
The parent body also agreed to give the players business class airfare, a six-member squad for even away ties, and agreed to consult them for the appointment of team physiotherapist.
The next tie against Indonesia is scheduled for April 5-7 and is likely to be hosted by Karnataka Lawn Tennis Association in Bangalore.
The AITA had also formed a three-member committee to decide on a players agreement with regard to national duty in Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Asian Games and Olympics.
The committee will have its first meeting on February 22 and is expected to submit its final report within four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof