Tipsarevic advances at US Open; Berdych retires
New York: Janko Tipsarevic advanced to the fourth round of the U.S. Open when ninth-seeded Tomas Berdych retired in the second set Saturday.
The 20th-seeded Tipsarevic was leading 6-4, 5-0 when Berdych decided he couldn`t keep playing with the injury to his right, serving shoulder.
Tipsarevic upset Andy Roddick in the second round at the Open last year. He matched his best Grand Slam result by reaching the round of 16. The Serb is ranked No. 20, a career high.
Berdych`s shoulder started bothering him during his victory over Roger Federer last month in the quarterfinals at Cincinnati. The Czech had to retire after the first set of his next match.
Berdych received treatment between sets Saturday.
The 2010 Wimbledon runner-up made just 49 percent of his first serves and had 22 unforced errors in 15 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines