Tipsarevic advances at US Open; Berdych retires
New York: Janko Tipsarevic advanced to the fourth round of the U.S. Open when ninth-seeded Tomas Berdych retired in the second set Saturday.
The 20th-seeded Tipsarevic was leading 6-4, 5-0 when Berdych decided he couldn`t keep playing with the injury to his right, serving shoulder.
Tipsarevic upset Andy Roddick in the second round at the Open last year. He matched his best Grand Slam result by reaching the round of 16. The Serb is ranked No. 20, a career high.
Berdych`s shoulder started bothering him during his victory over Roger Federer last month in the quarterfinals at Cincinnati. The Czech had to retire after the first set of his next match.
Berdych received treatment between sets Saturday.
The 2010 Wimbledon runner-up made just 49 percent of his first serves and had 22 unforced errors in 15 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- PM Modi to chair NITI Aayog meet today, review 15-year vision plan
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic