Tipsarevic advances at US Open; Berdych retires
New York: Janko Tipsarevic advanced to the fourth round of the U.S. Open when ninth-seeded Tomas Berdych retired in the second set Saturday.
The 20th-seeded Tipsarevic was leading 6-4, 5-0 when Berdych decided he couldn`t keep playing with the injury to his right, serving shoulder.
Tipsarevic upset Andy Roddick in the second round at the Open last year. He matched his best Grand Slam result by reaching the round of 16. The Serb is ranked No. 20, a career high.
Berdych`s shoulder started bothering him during his victory over Roger Federer last month in the quarterfinals at Cincinnati. The Czech had to retire after the first set of his next match.
Berdych received treatment between sets Saturday.
The 2010 Wimbledon runner-up made just 49 percent of his first serves and had 22 unforced errors in 15 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery