Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix
Berlin: Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka had to exert every ounce of her energy to beat German wild card Mona Barthel 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5 in a match that lasted nearly three hours at the Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart, Germany.
With Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova and Agnieszka Radwanska all in Saturday`s semi-finals, this is the first time since the Wimbledon Open in 2009 that the world`s top four players have reached the last four at a WTA tournament, reports Xinhua.
Second-ranked Sharapova rallied to outlast No.5 Sam Stosur of Australia 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5), 7-5 in a match that went one minute over three hours.
Fourth-seeded Radwanska rallied past No.8 Li Na of China 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, while third-seed Kvitova advanced with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Germany`s Angelique Kerber.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list