Top four seeds enter semis at Stuttgart WTA Grand Prix
Berlin: Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka had to exert every ounce of her energy to beat German wild card Mona Barthel 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5 in a match that lasted nearly three hours at the Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart, Germany.
With Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova and Agnieszka Radwanska all in Saturday`s semi-finals, this is the first time since the Wimbledon Open in 2009 that the world`s top four players have reached the last four at a WTA tournament, reports Xinhua.
Second-ranked Sharapova rallied to outlast No.5 Sam Stosur of Australia 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5), 7-5 in a match that went one minute over three hours.
Fourth-seeded Radwanska rallied past No.8 Li Na of China 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, while third-seed Kvitova advanced with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Germany`s Angelique Kerber.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan