Top-ranked Azarenka loses for 1st time this year
Key Biscayne: Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka lost for the first time this year when she was beaten by Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-3 in Wednesday night`s quarterfinals at the Sony Ericsson Open.
Azarenka had won 26 consecutive matches, a streak that began at the start of this year. Her start was the best on the women`s tour since Martina Hingis went 37-0 to begin 1997.
Azarenka had won her four previous tournaments this year, including the Australian Open for her first Grand Slam title. She was the defending champion at Key Biscayne.
The Belarussian had 16 winners and 29 unforced errors against Bartoli, and lost serve six times.
The No. 7-seeded Bartoli`s opponent in the semifinals Thursday will be No. 5 Agnieszka Radwanska, who eliminated Venus Williams 6-4, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi