Top-ranked Azarenka loses for 1st time this year
Key Biscayne: Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka lost for the first time this year when she was beaten by Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-3 in Wednesday night`s quarterfinals at the Sony Ericsson Open.
Azarenka had won 26 consecutive matches, a streak that began at the start of this year. Her start was the best on the women`s tour since Martina Hingis went 37-0 to begin 1997.
Azarenka had won her four previous tournaments this year, including the Australian Open for her first Grand Slam title. She was the defending champion at Key Biscayne.
The Belarussian had 16 winners and 29 unforced errors against Bartoli, and lost serve six times.
The No. 7-seeded Bartoli`s opponent in the semifinals Thursday will be No. 5 Agnieszka Radwanska, who eliminated Venus Williams 6-4, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB