Top-ranked Azarenka loses for 1st time this year
Key Biscayne: Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka lost for the first time this year when she was beaten by Marion Bartoli 6-3, 6-3 in Wednesday night`s quarterfinals at the Sony Ericsson Open.
Azarenka had won 26 consecutive matches, a streak that began at the start of this year. Her start was the best on the women`s tour since Martina Hingis went 37-0 to begin 1997.
Azarenka had won her four previous tournaments this year, including the Australian Open for her first Grand Slam title. She was the defending champion at Key Biscayne.
The Belarussian had 16 winners and 29 unforced errors against Bartoli, and lost serve six times.
The No. 7-seeded Bartoli`s opponent in the semifinals Thursday will be No. 5 Agnieszka Radwanska, who eliminated Venus Williams 6-4, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Sultan' Box Office collections: Rs 300 cr does not seem far for Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma starrer
- Must watch – What would happen if an asteroid hit the Earth today!
- Two police officers injured in US shooting, suspect nabbed
- Gurdip Singh's wife appeals for his safe return
- Delhi HC upholds trial court's order summoning Vijay Mallya