Top seed Ankita in ITF semifinals
Chennai: Top seed Ankita Raina fought back from a set down to beat eighth seed Eetee Maheta in a gruelling three setter in the quarterfinals of the Sanmar group ITF Women`s Tennis Championship at Madras Gymkhana Courts here on Thursday.
Eetee Maheta started well, serving and stroking fluently, to win the first set 6-4.
In the second set, Ankita found her groove and with her deep ground strokes constantly troubling Eetee. Gaining in confidence, she won the second set 6-4.
Eetee put up a brave fight in the third set and was ahead till 4-3. Ankita, on the other hand, was having problems with her service in the windy, humid conditions.
Despite that, Ankita held her nerve to level scores at 4 all and went ahead 5-4. In the final game, she dominated Eetee`s serve and made her place in the semifinals.
The officials regretted for an error in yesterday`s results where it was mentioned that Shweta Rana had beaten Angelique Svinos but the actual result was that Angelique Svinos had beaten Shweta Rana in three sets 7-6 (7), 1-6, 6-2.
Ankita Raina (IND)  Beat Eetee Maheta (IND)  4-6, 6-4, 6-4; Angelique Svinos (AUS) Beat Xi-Yao Wang (CHN) 1-6, 6 6-4, 6-0; Natasha Palha (IND)  Beat Mahitha Dadi Reddy (IND) 6-2, 6-3; Barbara Bonic (SRB)  Beat Prarthana G. Thombare (IND)  3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof