Top seed Victoria Azarenka reaches WTA final
California: Top seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus advanced to the final of the USD 795,000 WTA Southern California Open on Saturday by defeating Serbian seventh seed Ana Ivanovic 6-0, 4-6, 6-3.
Former world No. 1 Azarenka, who won three days past her 24th birthday, will play for the title Sunday against the winner of a later semi-final between Australian fifth seed Samantha Stosur and French wildcard Virginie Razzano.
Two-time defending Australian Open champion Azarenka seeks her 17th career title and third of the season as she tunes up for the US Open, where she lost in the final last year.
Razzano`s remarkable run has included victories over two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia, Czech third seed Petra Kvitova and eighth seed Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
Stosur, the 2011 US Open champion and 2010 French Open runner-up, lost in last year`s quarter-finals in her Grand Slam title defense at Flushing Meadows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'