Top seed Victoria Azarenka reaches WTA final
California: Top seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus advanced to the final of the USD 795,000 WTA Southern California Open on Saturday by defeating Serbian seventh seed Ana Ivanovic 6-0, 4-6, 6-3.
Former world No. 1 Azarenka, who won three days past her 24th birthday, will play for the title Sunday against the winner of a later semi-final between Australian fifth seed Samantha Stosur and French wildcard Virginie Razzano.
Two-time defending Australian Open champion Azarenka seeks her 17th career title and third of the season as she tunes up for the US Open, where she lost in the final last year.
Razzano`s remarkable run has included victories over two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia, Czech third seed Petra Kvitova and eighth seed Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
Stosur, the 2011 US Open champion and 2010 French Open runner-up, lost in last year`s quarter-finals in her Grand Slam title defense at Flushing Meadows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation