Top seed Vishnu Vardhan knocked out by qualifier Mayur
Mumbai: Men`s and women`s singles top seeds Vishnu Vardhan and Eetee Maheta crashed out of the Rs 12-lakh prize money Omkar All India ranking men`s and women`s tennis championship held at the the Juhu Vile Parle Gymkhana Club (JVPG) today.
Qualifier Mohit Mayur sent men`s no.1 seed Vishnu Vardhan packing in three sets in a second round match, while Eetee also went down in three sets against unseeded Sowjanya Bavisetti.
London Olympian Vardhan looked to be in control of proceedings till an inspired Mayur dug deep to win 3-6 7-5 6-3 in just under two hours.
Women?s top seed Eetee also suffered the same fate as she was knocked out by Sowjanya after winning the opening set like Vardhan. Sowjanya won 4-6 6-3 6-3.
In the eagerly-awaited Vardhan-Mayur matchup, it was the India no. 4 who stamped his authority in the early part of the match and he was rewarded in the eighth game when he broke Mayur`s serve before serving out the first set.
After surviving a long opening game to the second set on his serve, Mayur steadily began to secure easy holds.
However, the equal effectiveness of Vardhan`s serve frustrated him to the extent where he eventually picked up a code violation for flinging his racquet after losing a point.
Mayur`s grit finally bore fruit when he earned three break points while leading 6-5 and sealed the set on his second.
It seemed to swing the momentum well in favour of the underdog who grabbed an early break in the deciding set and won his fifth straight game to take a commanding 3-0 lead.
Vardhan did have a couple of opportunities in game seven but Mayur held on for 5-2 and produced a jittery-free final service game to close out the match.
Mayur will next face fellow qualifier Tushar Mandlekar who brushed aside Bruhad Mankad 6-1 6-0.
Fifth seed P C Vignesh overcame a second-set blip to beat R Suraj Prabodh 6-2 1-6 6-3.
Women’s third seed Nupur Kaul booked her semi-final berth with a 7-6 (7) 6-3 win over eighth seed Nehel Sahni.
Results (Women`s singles) (Quarterfinals): Sowjanya Bavisetti bt 1-Eetee Maheta 4-6 6-3 6-3; 3-Nupur Kaul bt 8-Nehel Sahni 7-6 (7) 6-3; Sharmada Balu bt Nithyaraj Baburaj 6-3 6-0.
Men`s singles (Round 2): Mohit Mayur bt 1-Vishnu Vardhan 3-6 7-5 6-3; Tushar Mandlekar bt Bruhad Mankad 6-1 6-0; 8-Abhijeet Tiwari bt Rakshay Thakkar 6-4 6-4; 5-P C Vignesh bt R Suraj Prabodh 6-2 1-6 6-3; 2-Vijay Sundar Prashanth bt Rajat Maheshwari 6-1 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections