Top seeds Venise and Emily may look to win ITF Gulbarga Open
Gulbarga: Top seed Venise Chan and second seed Emily Smith will be striving to win the USD 10,000 ITF Gulbarga Open Women`s Futures, beginning here tomorrow.
Though Gulbarga has earlier hosted ITF Mens tournaments during 2002 and 2007, this is the first time a Womens event is being conducted here. The event has attracted players from 10 countries.
The Indian interest starts with the 3rd seeded Kyra Shroff, highest ranked Indian at 531 after Sania Mirza on the world ranking list.
Karnatakas top junior Spurti Shivalingaiah, former National champion and Olympian Rushmi Chakravarthy, Vaishnavi Reddy and Sai Samhita, the four wild cards for the tournament, complete the main draw of 32.
Local lass Shalaka Manjunath has qualified for the main draw. Emily said she was looking forward to working hard this week and get maximum matches.
Third seed Kyra Shroff said: "It is a tough field but I am feeling confident."
Players from Hong Kong, Great Britain, Korea, Taipei, Thailand, Japan, France, Ukraine, China apart from hosts India are participating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi