Top seeds Venise and Emily may look to win ITF Gulbarga Open
Gulbarga: Top seed Venise Chan and second seed Emily Smith will be striving to win the USD 10,000 ITF Gulbarga Open Women`s Futures, beginning here tomorrow.
Though Gulbarga has earlier hosted ITF Mens tournaments during 2002 and 2007, this is the first time a Womens event is being conducted here. The event has attracted players from 10 countries.
The Indian interest starts with the 3rd seeded Kyra Shroff, highest ranked Indian at 531 after Sania Mirza on the world ranking list.
Karnatakas top junior Spurti Shivalingaiah, former National champion and Olympian Rushmi Chakravarthy, Vaishnavi Reddy and Sai Samhita, the four wild cards for the tournament, complete the main draw of 32.
Local lass Shalaka Manjunath has qualified for the main draw. Emily said she was looking forward to working hard this week and get maximum matches.
Third seed Kyra Shroff said: "It is a tough field but I am feeling confident."
Players from Hong Kong, Great Britain, Korea, Taipei, Thailand, Japan, France, Ukraine, China apart from hosts India are participating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP