Tough draw for Indians at ITF women`s tennis championship
Bangalore: The four Indian wild card entries drew tough opponents in the USD 25,000 ITF Open women`s tennis championship which gets underway with main draw matches Monday at the KSLTA Stadium here.
Prerna Bhambri, ranked 670 and the highest-ranked Indian player in the field, runs into the top seed Tamaryn Hendler of Belgium, ranked 212 in the first round while the third seed Zuzana Luknarova of Slovakia is pitted against Kyra Shroff.
The two local girls, Sharmada Balu and Spurthi Shivalingaiah also face fancied opponents. Sharmada will go up against seventh seed, Han Sung Hee of Korea and Spurthi takes on fourth seed Koch Benvenuto of Chile.
Earlier, the draw ceremony was held at the KSLTA Stadium and noted Kannada Actress, Harshika Poonacha, athlete Pramila Aiyappa and Suresh Thimiri, CEO of the sponsor QNet, picked the lots for the draw. Sunil Yajaman, CEO of Zygo Sports, which is conducting the event, presided.
In the first round qualifying round, Rushmi Chakravarthi, Nidhi Chilumula and Rishika Sunkara won their respective matches and took a step closer to qualify for the main draw.
Nidhi defeated Ya Zhou of China 6-3, 6-4 while Rushmi Chakravarthi outplayed Varunya Chandrashekar, a teenager from Mysore 6-1, 6-0 while Rishika Sunkara crushed another Indian girl, Amla Amol Warrick 6-0, 6-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet