Troicki knocks Youzhny out of Shanghai Masters
Shanghai: Viktor Troicki fought off a strong comeback from Russian No.1 Mikhail Youzhny to reach the second round of the Shanghai Masters tennis Tuesday.
Troicki took the first set before Youzhny surged back into the match with a 93 percent first-serve win percentage in the second set.
Youzhny cancelled out one of Troicki`s breaks of serve in the decider but was soon broken again as the Serb recorded a 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 win.
Troicki, the world No.32, will now face fellow Serb and sixth seed Janko Tipsarevic in the second round.
Elsewhere Tuesday, US Open champion Andy Murray is to play Florian Mayer in the second round after the German crushed Australia`s Bernard Tomic 6-4, 6-0.
Either French 15th seed Gilles Simon or Ukraine`s Alexander Dolgopolov will await the winner in the third round after both won their first-round matches.
Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland is to play Uzbekistan`s Denis Istomin in the second round, with the winner a potential third-round opponent for Swiss world No.1 Roger Federer.
Thirteenth seed Wawrinka battled through two tie-breaks to beat Spain`s Albert Ramos 7-6(1), 7-6(5), while Istomin stormed back from a set down to oust Argentine player Carlos Berlocq 4-6, 6-2 6-1.
Japan`s Kei Nishikori, seeded 14th, knocked out local wildcard Di Wu in a 6-2, 6-4 victory that sets up a match with Sam Querrey of the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next