Tsonga beats Istomin in 4 sets at Australian Open
Melbourne: Crowd favorite Jo-Wilfried Tsonga overcame a couple of stutters in his first-round match at the Australian Open before beating Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 on Tuesday.
The sixth-seeded Tsonga dropped the second set and then seemed to have regained control of an entertaining match on Margaret Court Arena.
He had two match points at 5-2 in the fourth set, but Istomin saved both and broke back in the next game.
Tsonga finally closed out the win on his third match point.
The Frenchman lost the 2008 Australian Open final to Novak Djokovic for his best Grand Slam result.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie