Tsonga reaches China Open final
Beijing: World No.7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga eased into his maiden China Open final after Spain`s Feliciano Lopez retired in the last four stage here Saturday.
Frenchman Tsonga took the first set 6-1 and was 4-1 up in the second when Lopez retired due to deteriorating physical condition, Xinhua reports.
Tsonga has been put to the test this week, scraping past Uzbekistan`s Denis Istomin after third set tie-breaker in the first round.
"During this week, my level goes better and better. I play one of my best tennis here," said Tsonga.
"Even if today Feliciano was not in good shape, and even if he has a problem, I played well."
The right-hander is bidding to win his third ATP World Tour title of the year when he faces either Serbia`s top seed Novak Djokovic or German Florian Mayer in Sunday`s final.
Tsonga owns a 2-0 career record against Mayer but trails Djokovic 5-7.
Talking about his potential final opponent Djokovic, who has defeated him five times in a row since 2011`s Wimbledon semi-finals, Tsonga said, "Novak beat me many times. He is the player who broke my dream. This time I will try to do better.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video