Tsonga reaches China Open final
Beijing: World No.7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga eased into his maiden China Open final after Spain`s Feliciano Lopez retired in the last four stage here Saturday.
Frenchman Tsonga took the first set 6-1 and was 4-1 up in the second when Lopez retired due to deteriorating physical condition, Xinhua reports.
Tsonga has been put to the test this week, scraping past Uzbekistan`s Denis Istomin after third set tie-breaker in the first round.
"During this week, my level goes better and better. I play one of my best tennis here," said Tsonga.
"Even if today Feliciano was not in good shape, and even if he has a problem, I played well."
The right-hander is bidding to win his third ATP World Tour title of the year when he faces either Serbia`s top seed Novak Djokovic or German Florian Mayer in Sunday`s final.
Tsonga owns a 2-0 career record against Mayer but trails Djokovic 5-7.
Talking about his potential final opponent Djokovic, who has defeated him five times in a row since 2011`s Wimbledon semi-finals, Tsonga said, "Novak beat me many times. He is the player who broke my dream. This time I will try to do better.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test