Underdog Johnson through to ATP semi-final
Washington: American qualifier Steve Johnson is through to his first ATP Tour semi-final after an emphatic victory at the Delray Beach Open on Friday.
The 24-year-old, who eliminated top seed Tommy Haas in the second round, dominated sixth seeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez to win their quarter-final 6-3 6-2 in 73 minutes.
Johnson did not drop serve and broke Lopez three times.
"I stuck to the game plan and executed really well and in the end I was able to hold my nerves," he told reporters.
Johnson, ranked 142nd in the world, will meet 2012 champion Kevin Anderson in the semi-finals on Saturday.
Johnson might be the underdog against fourth seed Anderson, but will take confidence in the knowledge he beat the South African in Auckland in January.
Anderson advanced to the semi-finals with a 6-7(3) 6-3 6-3 victory over Australian Marinko Matosevic.
"I just hung in there and finally got that breakthrough in the second set," said Anderson, who dropped serve once in the gusty conditions.
The other semi-final will pit Croatian Marin Cilic against American John Isner.
Seventh-seed Cilic advanced with a comfortable 6-3 6-2 win over Russian Teymuraz Gabashvili.
"Good times are rolling," Cilic said after serving 12 aces. He also returned well, breaking Gabashvili five times.
It was Cilic`s 11th straight-set victory in 13 matches since a second round exit at the Australian Open as he stayed on track for his third final in as many weeks.
He lost the final in Rotterdam last week, and won the week before on home soil in Zagreb.
Second seed Isner dropped the first set against Rhyne Williams, but recovered to beat his American compatriot 4-6 6-3 6-2.
The big-serving Isner pounded down 18 aces and only lost five of 45 points on his first serve.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla