Unseeded Davis upsets Azarenka at Indian Wells
Unseeded American Lauren Davis secured the first big upset of the BNP Paribas Open when she ousted third seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in the second round in Indian Wells on Friday.
Davis broke serve seven times en route to 6-0 7-6(2) victory as she pounced on the 2012 champion`s second serve. Azarenka, who was hampered by a foot injury, did not help her cause with 12 double faults.
It is the first time 20-year-old Davis, ranked 66th in the world, has beaten an opponent inside the top 20.
Earlier in California, second seed Agnieszka Radwanska earned a belated birthday present when she broke the serve of British qualifier Heather Watson seven times to win their second round match.
Radwanska was not exactly dominant, dropping serve five times herself, but she had enough of an edge to beat Watson 6-4 6-3.
"I`m just very happy I could play quite well today and win in two sets," the Pole told reporters a day after her 25th birthday.
"Today was very windy and we were both struggling with the serve, so I`m happy I could make it through."
The top seeds received a first round bye and most of the big names will not make their first appearances until the weekend.
But some notables were in action on Friday including Dane Caroline Wozniacki, the 10th seed, who beat Bojana Jovanovski 6-1 6-3.
Wozniacki broke Jovanovski five times as she preyed on her Serbian opponent`s weak second serve.
Top seed Li Na will start her campaign on Saturday against Chinese compatriot Zheng Jie.
In the men`s doubles, Swiss grand slam winners Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka teamed up for the first time in 18 months and entertained a large crowd in beating Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi 6-2 6-7 (4) (10-6).
The Swiss pair and defending champion and top seed Rafa Nadal will also be in men`s singles action on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...