Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open
Tokyo: World No.1 and defending champion Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark was upset by unseeded Estonian Kaia Kanepi in the WTA Pan Pacific Open tennis tournament here Wednesday.
The 21-year-old Wozniacki, who was stopped in the semifinals of the US Open two weeks ago, lost to the 43rd-ranked Estonian 5-7, 6-1, 4-6 in the third round, Xinhua reported.
Second seed Maria Sharapova of Russia survived a scare before advancing to the quarterfinals. She rallied to beat Germany`s Julia Goerges 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/4) in another third round match.
Following are the other third round results from the $2.05-million event (prefix number denotes seeding):
4-Vera Zvonareva, Russia, bt Iveta Benesova, Czech Republic, 6-1, 6-2.
7-Marion Bartoli, France, bt 10-Peng Shuai, China, 6-2, 6-1.
Maria Kirilenko, Russia, bt Ana Ivanovic, Serbia, 6-3, 6-1.
3-Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, bt Klara Zakopalova, Czech Republic, 6-3, 7-5.
5-Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic, bt Vania King, United States, 6-1, 7-6 (7/4).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir