Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open
Tokyo: World No.1 and defending champion Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark was upset by unseeded Estonian Kaia Kanepi in the WTA Pan Pacific Open tennis tournament here Wednesday.
The 21-year-old Wozniacki, who was stopped in the semifinals of the US Open two weeks ago, lost to the 43rd-ranked Estonian 5-7, 6-1, 4-6 in the third round, Xinhua reported.
Second seed Maria Sharapova of Russia survived a scare before advancing to the quarterfinals. She rallied to beat Germany`s Julia Goerges 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/4) in another third round match.
Following are the other third round results from the $2.05-million event (prefix number denotes seeding):
4-Vera Zvonareva, Russia, bt Iveta Benesova, Czech Republic, 6-1, 6-2.
7-Marion Bartoli, France, bt 10-Peng Shuai, China, 6-2, 6-1.
Maria Kirilenko, Russia, bt Ana Ivanovic, Serbia, 6-3, 6-1.
3-Victoria Azarenka, Belarus, bt Klara Zakopalova, Czech Republic, 6-3, 7-5.
5-Petra Kvitova, Czech Republic, bt Vania King, United States, 6-1, 7-6 (7/4).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you