US leads Switzerland 1-0 in Davis Cup
Fribourg: The United States took a 1-0 lead against Switzerland in the first round of the Davis Cup on Friday when Mardy Fish beat Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 9-7 in a thrilling opening match.
Fish fought back after wasting a match point chance at 5-4 in the deciding set. He won six games later with a crosscourt volley at the net.
The 86-minute final set was marked by wild shifts in momentum before the eighth-ranked American improved his record to 3-0 against the 28th-ranked Wawrinka.
Roger Federer was next on court in the best-of-five series in the World Group. The Swiss star was facing 17th-ranked John Isner before a crowd of 7,000 at Fribourg Forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore