US leads Switzerland 1-0 in Davis Cup
Fribourg: The United States took a 1-0 lead against Switzerland in the first round of the Davis Cup on Friday when Mardy Fish beat Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 9-7 in a thrilling opening match.
Fish fought back after wasting a match point chance at 5-4 in the deciding set. He won six games later with a crosscourt volley at the net.
The 86-minute final set was marked by wild shifts in momentum before the eighth-ranked American improved his record to 3-0 against the 28th-ranked Wawrinka.
Roger Federer was next on court in the best-of-five series in the World Group. The Swiss star was facing 17th-ranked John Isner before a crowd of 7,000 at Fribourg Forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'