Family man Djokovic ready to focus on US Open
New York: With the spotlight shining at center court, Novak Djokovic shrugged off his mediocre run-up to the U.S. Open and outclassed Diego Schwartzman of Argentina to close the first day of the U.S. Open on Monday.
The Wimbledon champion, who won only two matches on the North American hard courts after getting married days after his All England Club triumph last month, sprinted to victory in 97 minutes.
"I`m very pleased," Djokovic told the Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd after the one-sided win. "It`s never easy to start a U.S. Open smoothly."
Seven-times grand slam winner Djokovic, who won at Flushing Meadows in 2011, made it look easy in a masterful display with 24 winners including seven aces against Schwartzman, who was playing his first tour-level match on the surface.
Djokovic admitted that he had struggled to get his mind on the game with all the changes in his life, including the expected arrival of their first child in a couple of months.
"I didn`t have much time to think about tennis with all this happening," the 27-year-old Serb said. "It is a new chapter for my wife and I, and we are very excited."
Djokovic, who has thrived on hard courts, with four Australian Open crowns on his resume, fell in the round of 16 in his two warm-up tournaments after receiving first-round byes.
"The last three weeks actually, Toronto and Cincinnati, were a bit tough emotionally for me," he said. "I wasn`t finding my game. I wasn`t able to feel comfortable on the court.
"I probably was not mentally ready to still compete at a high level. But now it`s different. I feel emotionally recharged and ready to go."
The Serbian world number one will next play Paul-Henri Mathieu of France, who was extended to five sets by Gilles Muller of Luxembourg in a match that included three tie-breaks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark